The Newport Fire Company is one of six volunteer fire companies which serves the township of Bensalem. Bensalem Township is a suburban community located northeast border of the City of Philadelphia, with a population of 58,000.
The Newport Fire Company operates two stations, located at 5961 Bensalem Blvd. and 2900 Pasqualone Blvd. The fire company has a roster of 53 members. During the past five years, the department has responded to an average of 350 calls a year.
Newport Fire Company was founded in 1925 and chartered in 1926. Newport is one of six companies supplying fire protection to the residents of Bensalem Township.
The original firehouse was completed in 1926 and the first truck, a 1926 Cosmopolitan chemical truck, was purchased the same year. This truck saw active service until 1939 when it was replaced by a new 300 GPM Dodge Pumper in 1946. An Autocar gasoline truck was converted to a 1500 gallon water tanker. By 1956 it was necessary to add another pumper so the company purchased a new International 750GPM engine.
The 1960's saw the addition of a new engine room (1962), a new Chief's car (1967) and a new field truck (1968). A 1958 White 750 GPM was also added in 1968, being purchased from Edgley Fire Co.
In 1970 the company purchased a G.M.C. 1000 GPM pumper with a 2000 gallon tank. This tanker-pumper was delivered the following year.
In 1973 a new Great Eastern 1000 gpm was acquired. 1975 saw the addition of a Dodge Attack Pumper. Plans for Station 88 in Neshaminy Valley were completed early this year. On March 6th, ground breaking ceremonies were held. Station 88 was built almost entirely by the members. It was operational by Memorial Day with two trucks, a 1958 White, and a 1975 Dodge, with dedication ceremonies held October 1, 1977.
In 1979, the department purchased a Gruman-Duplex Pumper (Engine 44). In 1983, a GMC Suburban was purchased as a station vehicle for transporting personnel and other company details.
In 1984, (Engine 442) an Emergency One pumper was purchased.
In 1986, the company purchased an Emergency One Squirt with a 54 foot articulating waterway.
In 1992, an Emergency One pumper was purchased to replace the 1979 Gruman-Duplex pumper.
In 1996 and 1997, the Department purchased two Ford F350 Crew-Cab 4 wheel drive pickups for each of the stations, replacing the 1983 GMC Suburban.
In 1999 a truck committee was formed to replace the 1984 Emergency One pumper (Engine 442). In 2000 the Company ordered a new 1500 GPM pumper from Pierce. We took delivery of the 2000 Pierce Quantum Pumper (Engine 88) in October of 2000 and it was put into service in November of 2000.
In 2000 the Department converted the 1996 Ford F-350 pickup truck, to a field truck (Field 88) with a 200 Gallon water tank.
October 19, 2002 saw the ground breaking ceremony for the addition to Station 88. In attendance was the governor of Pennsylvania, Mark Schweiker, State Senator Robert (Tommy) Tomlinson, State Representative Gene Digirolamo and Bensalem mayor Joseph Digirolamo.
In November 2003, construction work started on the Station 88 renovation and addition project. This work would be completed in May of 2004 at a cost of $500,000.